We stand behind our reputation and will continue to serve our community with the values instilled by our funeral directors.
In 1892, three brothers owned and operated Schoppenhorst Bros. Laundry and Linen Service in Louisville's West End. One of the Brothers, Edward was interested in the "Undertaking" business and branched out to start the funeral home. The other brothers remained in the laundry business. Schoppenhorst Bros. Funeral Home was successful mainly because Edward and his wife, Flora, were caring people and their service was exceptional. Their business was very successful doing services across Louisville.
In 1865 this beautiful home was built by Captain Kawein, an Ohio river boat Captain. It features a six-foot tall, cut glass window set in the eleven-foot tall front door. Handcrafted in France and shipped to Louisville, the front door actually has a piece of glass from every country in Europe and pieced into a lovely design. Edward Schoppenhorst purchased the grand home on West Market Street in 1892. This notable landmark of West Louisville is listed in National Register of Historic Places by the Department of Interior.
In 1925, a Campbellsville funeral director, A. R. McFarland, joined the Schoppenhorst staff and about the same time Edward's nephew, Charles Schoppenhorst joined the firm. At that time a large chapel was added with a covered carport, which was the first in Louisville.
In 1934, Martin Jackson from South Louisville went to embalming school in Indianapolis and was hired. Edward Schoppenhorst died in 1941.
In 1960, Mrs. Schoppenhorst joined Robert Bosse, Lee Cralle, Jr., James Daugherty, and Alton Neurath in starting Highlands Funeral Home. Later, before the building was completed, Elbird Owen joined the business and Vernon Emerson later joined. Mrs. Flora B. Schoppenhorst led Schoppenhorst Bros. until her death in 1965 at which time she turned over two-thirds of the company stock to Mr. McFarland and Mr. Jackson. Charles and his wife May Bert had owned one-third of the business. Edward was a Past Master of Shawnee Masonic Lodge and Mrs. Schoppenhorst was Past Worthy Matron of Electa Chapter of The Order of the Eastern Star. They are buried in Cave Hill Cemetery.
In 1976, Ben Underwood purchased Schoppenhorst's building and business and the funeral home business volume had dropped to 55 funerals per year. Twenty years later, Ben and his director, Herb Morgan had built the volume up to 130 funerals per year.
In 2011, Casey Lloyd purchased and updated the funeral home; returning to the place he grew to love while attending mortuary school and serving his apprenticeship in the early 1990's under Ben Underwood.
In 2017, the Scott Family of Jeffersonville, IN purchased the funeral home from Casey Lloyd. Billy Scott and Aaron Scott are the owners and operators of the Scott Family Services and are honored to begin serving the families of Louisville. The Scott family operates Scott Funeral Home and Legacy Funeral Center of Jeffersonville, IN, as well as Faithful Companions Pet Cremation Services, which serves Kentuckiana families when they lose a beloved pet. Since purchasing the funeral home, the Scott Family has done several renovation projects including a newly renovated service chapel and reception room as well as glassing in the back entryway.